Healing Sleep and Dreams
June 26-30, 2017
Mental health is not just a matter of waking life. Sleep loss, the most prevalent health concern in the U.S. today, has been strongly linked to anxiety, depression, obesity, and illness. Although mental health professionals routinely encounter insomnia in their practices, few are adequately prepared to address it.
Join world-renowned sleep and dream expert Dr. Rubin Naiman for a uniquely informative clinical and consciousness-enhancing experience. This comprehensive program addresses insomnia from a body, mind, and spirit perspective, integrating complementary and alternative medicine, cognitive-behavioral interventions, and Jungian/archetypal approaches. Through engaging presentations, in-depth discussions, and personal practices, participants can expect to gain a rich and practical understanding of sleep and dreams to better help their clientele as well as themselves.
An Integrative Approach to Sleep and Dreams
- Objectives, outline and approach
- Sleep and dream loss: the night fever model
- Sleep loss, inflammation, physical and mental health
The nature of sleep and dreams
- We don't get sleep because we don't get sleep
- The science of sleep and REM sleep
- Rhythms: the power of when
The Big Picture: Cultural Factors Shaping Our Sleep
- The suppression of night, darkness and melatonin
- The industrialization of everyday life
- Our addiction to waking: counterfeit energies and resistance to rest
Understanding and Evaluating Major Sleep Disorders
- Screening and evaluation of sleep and dreams
- The presentation and etiology of insomnia
- Personal evaluation: describe your "night stand"
Healing Sleeplessness and Insomnia
- The Noise Reduction Model: taking & letting go of something to sleep
- Sleeping pill alternatives: botanicals, nutraceuticals, melatonin
- Managing body, mind and bed 'noise'
Managing Body and Bed Noise
- The body in sleep: gravity, heat, rest practices, stimulus control
- The princess and the pee: what really wakes us up at night?
- Your sleep environment: beds, bedding and bedrooms
Managing Mind Noise
- Thoughts, beliefs and meta-cognitions around sleep (CBT-I)
- A non-violent approach to night, sleep and dreams
- Sleeping together: the night side of relationships
Re-Writing Our Bedtime Story
- The art of spiritual surrender
- Where do you go when you go to sleep?
- Falling in love with sleep again
Understanding Dreams and Dreaming
- Dream interpretation, relation and healing
- Bad dreams, nightmares and shadow work
- The waking dream: re-enchanting everyday life
The United States of Consciousness: Sleep & Dream Lessons for Waking
- Braid Theory: toward a unified consciousness:
- What is consciousness?
- On becoming practically conscious
"Terrific presenter: very knowledgeable, available, humorous, engaging"
"The instructor was inclusive, open, skilled; one of the best conferences I have attended here"