Linda Mackay, MSW, RSW,
is a level 2 LifeForce Yoga® practitioner, a faculty member and mentor with the LifeForce Yoga Healing Institute. She has been working at the University of Waterloo's Counselling and Psychological Services for 15 years and is co-owner of The Space Within in Stratford Ontario. There she offers individual psychotherapy, LifeForce Yoga® (LFY) workshops and meditation classes. She has assisted and co-facilitated with Amy Weintraub in several settings, most recently at Leading Edge Seminars in Toronto. Linda has also developed in-school programs for both elementary and high school classes incorporating mindfulness and LFY, and presents to physicians and other health care professionals on compassion fatigue and vicarious trauma, using the tools of mindfulness and LFY.
Yoga Skills for Therapists!
(No prior yoga nor mat necessary)
July 17-21, 2017
Mental and physical health care providers can practice their specialties more effectively when they offer clients simple, evidence-based LifeForce Yoga practices to self-regulate, experience self-efficacy and build resilience. Learn clinically appropriate yoga skills that complement and enhance the work you currently do, helping clients focus, relax, and have greater access to feeling states. Every day will include easy movement, yoga breathing, and meditation or guided relaxation, case studies and clinical applications. We’ll work in dyads, using and teaching techniques and strategies learned and practiced in class.
LifeForce Yoga has been successfully utilized in many settings with diverse populations, demonstrating its usefulness in relieving emotional distress and dysregulation. In the process of learning Yoga practices to help clients self-regulate and increase self-compassion, you will be giving yourself the gift of self-care.
Experience for yourself the transformational power of yoga and let it be the portal to healing for you, your loved ones and those you serve. Return home empowered with your own practices and ready to share them with your clients.
The Safe Container
- Yoga tools to foster the therapeutic alliance and client self-acceptance
- Principles of Yoga for the Emotional Body
- A review of current scientific literature supporting Yoga as a treatment in mental health care
- Practice evidence-based tones for self-soothing and parasympathetic activation
- Identifying predominate mood through analysis of current breathing pattern
- Three evidence-based Yoga breaths and a simple meditation for anxiety
- Three evidence-based Yoga breaths and a simple meditation technique for depression
- Yoga technique to interrupt panic attack
- Strategies for introducing Yoga practices to your most skeptical clients.
Giving the Mind a Bone
- Meditation techniques effective with OCD and anxiety disorders
- Address negative self-talk and the seeds of self-loathing with a Yoga self-inquiry exercise that incorporates Yoga breathing, imagery, and client-created affirmation
- LifeForce Yoga® Chakra Clearing Meditation (Energizing)
- Empowering use of imagery, meditation, and affirmations that arise from the client’s authentic experience of Self.
Grief in the Tissues
- Yoga as an adjunct treatment for PTSD
- Body sensing
- How Yoga informs somatic psychology
- LifeForce Yoga® Chakra Clearing Meditation (calming)
- Yoga Nidra (iRest): An evidence-based protocol effective for managing mood and PTSD.
- Postures of empowerment: Simple inversions–heart-opening backbends
- Application: Distinguishing those techniques appropriate for a clinical practice
- Community Networking: workshops and referrals
“Being with Amy was a privilege. Her level of expertise is awesome.”
“I thoroughly loved the whole experience especially the beautiful course and the lovely beings that our presenters are.”